A Sunday with November Orange

It is precisely the middle of the month today. Matt's been down with a fever all weekend, so we've been moving at a slower pace. A little sleeping in. A little TV watching. A little cooking. A little computer work. And a little hike, for the healthy ones in our crew.

The farmer's market closed two weeks ago - sniff sniff - and I went home on the last two days with pounds and pounds of carrots. My fridge is loaded with orange.

So yesterday I got a little adventurous and made up a recipe for Coconut Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup. Say that three times fast.

It's sweet, with a little kick.

Photobucket

Unfortunately, the man with the fever isn't much into soup, except for plain chicken and noodle. He's missing out because this one is balanced just right.

My recipes aren't super precise because I tend to throw stuff together, but hopefully you can replicate this, if desired.

Ingredients:
2 tbls. butter
1 large onion, or two small, diced
1 tsp. curry powder (more if desired)
salt, to taste
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne (or less)
3 sweet potatoes, diced
8 large carrots, diced
1 large box of chicken or veggie stock
1/3 cup coconut milk

Directions: Melt butter in a pot, and add diced onion. Saute on medium low until translucent. Add spices and allow to cook for a minute. Add sweet potato and carrots. Saute for a several minutes to soften. Add box of stock, and bring to simmer. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until carrots and sweet potatoes are soft.

I used a stick blender here to puree the soup. I just bought it a week ago and I've used it about every other day - works so much better than my regular blender, and less mess than the food processor. But, you could definitely use a regular blender or food processor. My soup was fairly thick, so you may want to add extra stock here to thin to the desired texture. Water would do in a pinch. You could also strain some of the soup to make it a little smoother.

To finish, add coconut milk to the puree and stir. I added a little on top for serving.

After I had some soup for lunch, I took the dog out for our sometimes regular Sunday hike. Some orange soup seemed like the perfect starter for a mid-November hike.

Orange abounds!

Photobucket

This vernal pool is a favorite spot because it changes through the seasons. It'll be frozen over soon!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was enjoying all the orange, and was surprise to look down and see this neon purple popping out at me. Quite spectacular.

Photobucket

Kaia was remarkably patient today while I kept my head buried behind the camera lens. Miss thing is prone to running off, so she has to be leashed at all times.

I gave her time to splash in the mud though. She is unphased by close-to-freezing ponds.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before we headed home at 4:30, the sunset lit the landscape up for a final hurrah of the day.

Photobucket

After the intensity of September and October, the slower pace of November is a welcome change. We're getting used to nightfall that comes before 5.

The fever is unwelcome though. If I come down with one myself, at least I've got some more soup on hand to nourish me through.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I love the pictures, as always. It's so hard to really capture a sunset but you did it beautifully!